Is a low cost iPhone 6 coming later this year to open up the China market? China Mobile has more than 700 million customers and is plowing $7 billion this year into building a new 4G network to retain supremacy. China Mobile already had 15M iPhone 5 subscribers without directly selling Apple's handset last year. How many subscribers will they have if they launched a lower cost version?
On Apple's conference call, Tim Cook said the following:
- Revenue came in at $8.8B up 18% in China.
- iPads grew at 130% YOY.
- Greater china revenue was up approximately 18%.
- iPhone 5 just launched in December
- iPhone 4 shows significant as it is more affordable.
- Samsung is a tough competitor in hardware
- Google is a tough competitor on the operating system side.