Bluetooth Beacon Transmitter
Bluetooth proximity marketing is the latest marketing technique being deployed by retailers, Governments and sporting venues to track users. How these groups benefit from it? They do it through proximity marketing and it is about connecting with your audience at the right place and time.
Bluetooth is a short-range wireless system found on most smartphones and tablets that transmit information and can receive information. Most people currently use Bluetooth for hands free in our cars or to connect to a wireless speaker. Bluetooth proximity marketing involves setting up Bluetooth "broadcasting" equipment at a particular location. If your Bluetooth is "turned on" and you are near one of these beacons. Information can be sent to devices via be text, images, audio on enabled devices (aka cell phone, tablet) within range of the transmitter (beacon). A Bluetooth enabled mobile device, when in range of the beacon (transmitter) receives the signal and then via the device's operating system, passes information to the appropriate mobile app(s).
Several things need to happen beforehand.
1) Bluetooth is turned on
2) A Bluetooth beacon transmitter must be nearby
3) The targeted individual should have a specific application installed on the their phone that is capable of receiving a push notification.
What information is collected?
1) The ID of the phone and user of the phone
2) Cellular or Wifi signal strength issues
3) Locations traveled of other beacons in the area (for example locations within a store).